§4 ch30: Subsidizing an Adoption/Legal Guardianship
30.8 Review Process
- Within the calendar year make contact with each adoptive/guardianship family via phone or letter to insure that best services are being provided to families and children. Document contact in the narrative section of the subsidy file. Otherwise, subsidy Agreements will terminate on the last day of the month of the youth’s 18th birthday.
- On adoption cases, six months prior to the expiration date of the Agreement make contact with the adoptive parent(s) to determine if a physical, dental or mental health need exists that requires care beyond the age of 18. An 18+ Adoption Subsidy Agreement, CD AD 18, may be negotiated with the adoptive parent(s) when documentation of the need by appropriate treatment professionals is provided. These Agreements may only be approved for one year at a time.
- Approval via an 18+ Adoption Subsidy Agreement should be initiated six months prior to and approved 30 days before the youth’s 18th birthday to prevent any lapse in service.
- If a specific contracted provider used for a special service is changed, complete and enter a new SEAS Authorization Form, CS-67A. Changes in residential treatment services must also be reported to the Regional Residential Care Screening Team (RCST) Coordinator.
- Complete contract amendment(s) if one of the following events occurs:
- Adoptive parent(s) or guardian(s) request changes; as a result of the child’s needs or family’s situation changing;
- Upon notification by the adoptive parent(s)/guardian(s) of OASDI benefits due to the disability of the adoptive parent(s)/guardian(s) indicates a change is needed in the subsidy services and payment amounts;
- Child requires residential care services. Additionally, update the Alternative Care Client Information screen changing the date of placement and showing a sub placement type of “s” leaving the adoptive parent(s) or guardian(s) in the placement field.
- Send written notice to the adoptive parent(s) or guardian(s) utilizing the Notification Letter for Adoption and Guardianship Subsidy Denials form, CD-87, if all or any portion of the proposed Agreement (at initial application or by amendment) to the contract is not approved by the Director.
- Utilize the Notification Letter for Adoption and Guardianship Subsidy Denials form, CD-87, to insure that the following information is included in the event that an appeal is filed:
- Reason(s) why the proposed Agreement, or any portion of a proposed Agreement, has not been approved making reference to the policy used in arriving at this decision;
- Information regarding the right of the adoptive parent(s)’/guardian(s)’ to appeal the decision through a fair hearing;
- Method for requesting an appeal through the Application for Fair Hearing, IM-87; and
- Request they contact the worker to make any necessary adjustments in the Agreement or to file the appeal.
- If an Application for Fair Hearing, CD-53, request is received, a copy is to be sent to the Division of Legal Services' DLS Litigation Unit as well as to the DLS Hearing Unit within one (1) working day of the parent’s request.