§4 ch5: Placement/Replacement of the Child
Attachment C: Guidelines for Placement of Additional Children in Resource Homes Where a Child Has Been Placed in Residential Care
This attachment will assist Children’s Service Workers with guidelines to consider for the placement of additional children in a resource home where a child has been placed in residential care. No additional children will be placed in the home without the approval of the Circuit Manager or designee. The Circuit Manager/designee will take into consideration the following issues when making their decisions. This information will be presented to the Circuit Manager by the foster/adopt licensing worker and/or supervisor and documented in the case record:
- The length of time the child has been placed in residential care; the level of involvement of the resource provider toward the child in residential care;
- A detailed report from the Residential Facility therapist that has provided treatment/family therapy for the resource parents and the child-outlining the information requested in number 1-4 of this list;
- The plan for reunification for the child in residential care with the resource family; assess all aspects of the plan, including the identified supports in place;
- The resource providers desire to work with Children’s Division (CD) and other involved agencies;
- Has the resource parent participated in all staffing and treatment planning meetings regarding the child in residential care, and the other children placed in their home;
- The family’s strengths and needs in accepting additional children into the home as it relates to the children requiring placement;
- How the resource parent would continue to meet the needs of the child in residential care as well as the additional children placed in their home;
- Review the number of children currently in the foster home and or the number of children desired in the future; and
- The above information should be provided at Family Support Team meetings regarding any additional children that would be placed in the home by licensing worker and/or/supervisor.
NOTE: Pursuant to Section 210.117 RSMo.; Section 210.710 RSMo.; Section 210.720 RSMo.; and Section 211.038 RSMo. restrictions on placement, custody, visitation or reunification for minors who were determined to be either a victim or a perpetrator in an incident of abuse between minors may present significant difficulties for workers who are making placement decisions or enrolling children in Division custody in child care or in school.
After review and assessment of case, the Circuit Manager or designee will make a decision and notify the local Children’s Division office and the resource parent.
NOTE: This policy focuses on plan placements; however, there may be times of an emergency nature in which this policy may not be an option.