Food Stamp Program /
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

Fraud Alert! General public receiving unsolicited calls from what appears to be the SNAP toll free information hotline number: 1-800-221-5689. Read more information

The Food, Conservation, and Energy Act of 2008 renamed the federal program the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) effective October 1, 2008. SNAP is designed to promote the general welfare and safeguard the health and well-being of the nation’s population by raising the levels of nutrition among low-income households. The program is called the Food Stamp Program in Missouri.

How Are Food Stamps Used?

Each participating household receives an allotment of food benefits based on the USDA’s “Thrifty Food Plan”. This allotment is adjusted annually according to the U. S. Department of Labor’s analysis of the cost of food. Missouri Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) is the method by which households receive and use Food Stamp benefits.

Households may use their Missouri EBT card in any grocery store or retail location anywhere in the United States that has been authorized by the USDA Food and Nutrition Service and displays the Quest® sign. The benefits may be used to purchase any food or food products prepared for human consumption except alcoholic beverages and tobacco, hot foods, or foods prepared for immediate consumption. Benefits may also be used to buy seeds and plants for use in gardens to produce food for the personal consumption of the household. Under certain conditions, members of the eligible households who are 60 years of age or older may use the benefits to pay for home delivered meals and other meals prepared for elderly persons.

The EBT cardholder may check account balances and history of EBT transactions, and may view frequently asked cardholder questions on the web site at:

Do I Qualify For Food Stamp Benefits?

To see if you might qualify for Food Stamps, a pre-screening tool for the Food Stamp Program is available.

Anyone may apply for Food Stamps. To apply, print the completed application form and fax, mail, or take it to any FSD office. View address information or fax numbers for FSD offices. Typed data on this form CANNOT BE SAVED. Instructions for completing this form are also available.

Application For Food Stamp Benefits Form
Instructions: Application For Food Stamp Benefits
Solicitud De Beneficios Para El Programa Estampillas Por Alimentos Forma
Instrucciones: Solicitud De Beneficios Para El Programa Estampillas Por Alimentos

Do I need to complete an interview for Food Stamp benefits?

Yes. Applicants can do this by phone or in person. If you are not available to complete the interview the day you apply, you will receive an appointment letter in the mail to complete your interview. Contact FSD to complete this by phone at 855-373-4636 or visit a FSD office to complete this in person. View address information for FSD offices. You can complete your interview Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm CST. An interview must be completed to determine your initial and continued eligibility for Food Stamp benefits.

How do I apply for replacement of Food Stamp benefits used to purchase food which has been destroyed?

If you have lost food purchased with Food Stamp benefits due to the weather, ice storm, fire, flood, tornado, or other household misfortune outside your control, contact your local county office to complete a request for replacement. Or, you may complete the Statement of Loss/Replacement Request form and return the form in person, by mail or by fax. View address information or fax numbers for FSD offices.

Nondiscrimination Statement

In accordance with Federal civil rights laws and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should c ontact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits.  Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.  Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form.  To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992.  Submit your completed form letter to USDA  by:

  1. mail:  U.S. Department of Agriculture
    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
    1400 Independence Avenue, SW 
    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

  2. fax: (202) 690-7442; or
  3. email: [email protected]

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.