A child care provider caring for six or fewer children in their home (regardless of relationship) can be paid for providing care to families who are eligible for Child Care Subsidy.

  • The total of six (6) children in care shall include:
    • A maximum of 3 children under the age of 2 years old;
    • Any child living in the home where care is provided, who is less than 5 years old.

What if I provide care for more than six children in my home?

If you provide care for more than six children in your home, you are required to have a license. You can apply for a license through the Department of Health and Senior Services.. 

Helpful Resources

How do I become registered with DSS?

To become a registered child care provider, a Registered Child Care Provider Agreement form (CD-269) must be submitted to DSS. This form must be completed in full and signed, certifying you have read, understand, and will comply with the agreement.

You must also:

  • Be 18 years of age or older
  • Pass a background screening for everyone living in the home age 17 years and older
  • Submit health certification (tuberculosis statement)
  • Register with the Missouri Professional Development Registry
  • Complete required trainings
  • Be in compliance with Health and Safety Requirements (Health and Safety Checklist)
  • Submit proof of a tax ID

You can also:

What if I provide care out of state?

If you offer child care to Missouri families who are eligible for Child Care Subsidy, you will need to complete and provide background screening results from your state of residence.

Please contact the Child Care Provider Relations Unit at 573-526-3011 for more information about how to become contracted as a child care provider with the state of Missouri.  

How do I get help with care for a child with special needs?

The Department of Health and Senior Services (DHSS) offers technical assistance to child care providers who care for children with special needs at no charge. These services are offered through Inclusion Specialists, who ensure all children receive quality care and are included in all activities regardless of their special needs. Inclusion specialists also offer face to face training throughout the state to help child care providers meet the needs of children with special needs. A child with special needs is a child who may require enhanced child care services over that of a typically developing child due to an actual or perceived developmental disability and/or delay, health/mental health, or behavior issues.