What is the Home Visiting Program?
The Home Visiting Program links eligible families to services and resources within their community to help encourage child development and healthy families.
What services are available?
Trained home visitors will visit families in their home and offer a variety of services, which include:
- Group training sessions targeted at various topics dealing with child development, creating healthy families, and networking opportunities for the families
- Resources for children in the home, including books, developmentally appropriate toys, and incentives like certificates to purchase items for their children (such as toys, books, safety items, safe cribs, etc.)
- Address literacy, mathematics, science, physical development, health and safety, and social–emotional levels building on the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education's Pre–K Early Learning Standards
Who is eligible?
To get help through the Home Visiting Program, a family must have a child less than 3 years of age in the home and a household income under 185% of poverty guidelines. Additionally, the parent must meet any one of the following requirements:
- Referred by the state agency as being "at risk" for physical, emotional, social, or educational abuse/neglect;
- A family who's child is in the custody of the Department of Social Services with an active plan for custody of the child to be returned to the family;
- Family living in poverty;
- Unemployed (but may be receiving Temporary Assistance or other income);
- Employed 40 hours or less per week;
- Participating in an education or job training program;
- Living in a shelter or temporary housing; or
- A teen parent.
How do I get help?
For more information, please contact the Home Visiting contractor in your area.
|Easter Seals||1508 NW Vivion Road||Kansas City||816-781-0177|
|Great Circle||PO Box 198||St. James||573-442-8331|
|Lutheran Family and Children Services||9666 Olive Boulevard, Suite 400||St. Louis||314-754-2740|
|Southeast Missouri State University||One University Plaza||Cape Girardeau||573-651-5270|
|Whole Kids Outreach||62143 Highway 21||Ellington||573-663-3257|