Child Care – Information for Families
The Child Care Subsidy Program assists eligible Missouri parents and guardians with payments for child care. This program helps families with the cost of child care so that they are able to focus on finding and holding steady work that can support their family's needs.
How do I get help?
Who is Eligible?
You may be eligible for the Child Care Subsidy Program if you are a low-income parent or guardian of a child under the age of 13 (or age 13 or older with a special need) and are:
- Attending school
- In job training
- Searching for a job
- Being evaluated for training and/or employment
- Receiving child welfare services from the Children's Division
Note: Eligible children may be placed on a waiting list due to lack of adequate funding. Eligibility does not guarantee immediate benefits.
How do I apply or reapply?
You may apply or reapply for Child Care Subsidy by:
- Applying online
- Completing the Child Care Application and submitting it to your local Family Support Division (FSD) office in person or by mail to:
Family Support Division
615 E 13th St.
Kansas City, MO 64106
- Contacting the local FSD office in your county of residence
Once FSD has received your application, you will be contacted for an interview. This interview must be complete before FSD can approve your Child Care Subsidy application. If FSD is unable to reach you through the phone number you provided, you will receive a letter with directions on how to complete your interview.
Once FSD has received all information needed to process your application, you will be notified within 15 calendar days if you are approved for Child Care Subsidy.
How will I know if I qualify?
If you are eligible for assistance, you will receive an approval letter from the Family Support Division that tells you when your eligibility for Child Care Subsidy will begin and end.
If you are not eligible, you will receive a letter explaining you do not qualify for assistance at this time.
What are my responsibilities if I'm approved?
If you receive help through the Child Care Subsidy Program, you are responsible for:
- Choosing a child care provider (the child care provider must be authorized before Child Care Subsidy payments can begin)
- Providing your schedule (you can apply for child care without a schedule, but child care payments cannot be paid without the schedule)
- Your sliding fee (if you have one)
- Your copayment (if you have one)
- Reporting a change in your child care provider
- Reporting a change in your:
- Phone number
- Household member (s)
- Work/training hours
If you have been approved for the Child Care Subsidy Program and need help locating a child care provider you may contact Child Care Aware® of Missouri at 1-866-892-3228. Your local FSD office cannot distribute listings of child care providers.