1105.015.05 Non-EU Members

Except in certain circumstances, do not consider the following members residing in a household in determining eligibility or coupon allotment: commercial boarding house residents, institutional residents, roomers, boarders, Foster Care children, elderly individuals unable to purchase/prepare their own food, live-in attendants, and other non-EU members.

1105.015.05.05 Commercial Boarding Houses

Residents of commercial boarding houses are ineligible for program benefits. A boarding house is defined as an establishment licensed as a commercial enterprise that offers meals and lodging for compensation with the intent of making a profit. Do not use the number of boarders living in the boarding home in establishing the commercial or non-commercial status of a boarding home. If the boarding home is not licensed, it must be in business with the intent of making a profit.

1105.015.05.10 Institutions

Residents of an institution providing them with a majority of their meals (over 50 percent of three meals daily) as a part of its normal service are not eligible for participation with the exceptions listed below.

Residents of the following institutions may be eligible for FS:

1105.015.05.15 Roomers and BOARDERS

IM-#24, February 15, 2017, IM-#11 March 18, 2014, IM-#39 May 15, 2007

Roomers are individuals to whom an EU furnishes lodging, but not meals for compensation.

A boarder is defined as an individual residing in the residence and paying reasonable compensation to the EU for lodging and meals. Boarders are ineligible to participate in the Food Stamp Program independent of the EU providing the board. Boarders may participate as members of the EU providing the boarder services, at such EU's request. If an applicant EU identifies any individual in the residence as a boarder, the following provisions apply.

1105.015.05.20 Foster Care Individuals

IM-#11 March 18, 2014

Foster Care individuals are considered boarders. The EU elects whether or not the individual is included in the Food Stamp EU. However, they differ from other boarders in two ways:

1105.015.05.25 Elderly Persons Unable to Purchase/Prepare Food

The following individuals may choose to be considered non-EU members: an individual aged 60 or older living with others (and spouse of such an individual) and unable to purchase and prepare meals because he/she suffers from a disability considered permanent or suffers from a non-disease related severe, permanent disability if that individual (and spouse of such individual) have income in excess of FS requirements.

NOTE: Individuals meeting the above definition may apply as a separate household.

1105.015.05.30 Live-in Attendants and Other Non-EU Members

A live-in attendant is defined as an individual living in the residence to provide medical care, housekeeping services, child care, or other similar personal services. Do not consider a live-in attendant as an EU member.

Other non-EU members include individuals who share living quarters with the EU but do not customarily purchase food and prepare meals with the EU.