1135.035.20 Applications and Reapplications
IM-#24 February 21, 2006, IM-219 December 17, 2001
Determine categorical eligibility, or potential categorical eligibility, at the time of application.
Screen food stamp applications made jointly with Temporary Assistance, SAB, or special support services for expedited services at the time of application. If the EU qualifies for expedited services, process the application using the expedited services procedures the same day the application is taken.
If the caseworker verifies on the date of application that the claimant is ineligible for food stamps because of an eligibility factor such as EU resources exceed the allowable maximum, leave the application in pending status. If the worker completes the controlled flow, FAMIS will reject the application based on excessive resources.
NOTE: An EU that is potentially categorically eligible cannot be denied for 30 days from the date of application.
Expedited services cannot be given since the food stamp EU is ineligible for benefits on the date of application. When the IM case is completed, process the food stamp case at the same time.
At the time the Temporary Assistance cash, SAB, or SSI is approved, re-evaluate the food stamp application for expedited services. Evaluate for the month of application.
If entitled to expedited services, issue expedited benefits within expedited time frames using the date the IM/SSI grant is approved as the date of discovery. Prorate benefits from the date IM benefits are payable (date of eligibility) or the date of the food stamp application, whichever is later.
For non-expedited cases where processing time frames have not changed, take action on the case as follows:
- An EU potentially categorically eligible cannot be denied for 30 days from the date of application. The EU can be denied only if during the 30 days the Temporary Assistance, SAB, and/or SSI application is denied and the EU is not otherwise eligible for food stamps.
- An EU that applied for Temporary Assistance, SAB, and food stamps is approved for food stamps as categorically eligible, if within the 30 days from application, the IM application is approved.
- If the Temporary Assistance, SSI, and/or SAB application has not been acted on, and the 30 days from the date of application have nearly expired, process the food stamp case under non-IM procedures.
- If food stamps are denied as a non-IM EU, and later the Temporary Assistance, SSI, and/or SAB is approved, provide the EU benefits using the original application and any other pertinent information occurring subsequent to that application. SSI EUs are entitled to the excess medical deduction and the uncapped excess shelter deduction from the date SSI benefits are payable or the date of the original food stamp application, whichever is later. Do not re-interview the EU. Contact the EU by telephone or mail regarding changes. The application is updated, and the EU initials the changes indicated and re-signs the form. The form can be mailed to the EU to have the changes initialed and the form re-signed.
Prorate benefits from the date the IM benefits are payable (date of eligibility for benefits) or the date of the food stamp application, whichever is later.
EXAMPLE: The EU applies for Temporary Assistance and food stamps on 6/3. On 7/2, the 30th day from application, the food stamp application is denied. The Temporary Assistance application is approved on 7/20. Take the following action.
Re-evaluate the original application at the EU's request or when becoming otherwise aware of the EU's IM and/or SSI eligibility.
- Contact the EU regarding any changes that may have occurred during the application process.
- Re -register the application in FAMIS, going back to the date of the beginning of the Temporary Assistance eligibility. Record why there is a difference in the application dates. Applications cannot be backdated more than thirty days from the current date.
- Enter any changes that were reported in FAMIS, while in the controlled flow.
- Re-print an interview summary (FA-102).
- Record comments regarding any changes.
- Approve the food stamp case.
- Prorate benefits from the date of the beginning of Temporary Assistance eligibility (7/1).
1135.035.25 Cancel Closing an SP Case
When a Supplemental Payments (SP) case is cancel closed, the claimant becomes categorically eligible for food stamps. Process a food stamp application under the procedures discussed in this section.