Behavioral Health Carve-In Stakeholder Committee
The Missouri HealthNet Division (MHD), in partnership with the Children’s Division (CD), Division of Youth Services (DYS) and the Department of Mental Health (DMH), is working to carve select behavioral health (BH) services into a single, specialized health plan for children in State care and custody and those receiving adoption subsidy assistance. Note the following services will remain in fee-for-service (FFS) for all managed care members: Community Psychiatric Rehabilitation (CPR); Comprehensive Substance Treatment and Rehabilitation (CSTAR); Targeted Case Management (TCM); and Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) for Autism Spectrum Disorder.
The Behavioral Health Carve-in Initiative aims to establish a trauma-informed, comprehensive and integrated BH/PH delivery system that allows children and youth, both those in the care and custody of the state and those receiving adoption subsidy assistance, to grow into healthy adults and live full and satisfying lives. The Behavioral Health Carve-in Initiative Advisory Committee reviews and makes recommendations on request for proposal language for the new specialty health plan contract, state plan amendments (SPA), and regulations as they relate to this initiative. Committee meetings will be posted below and on the MHD calendar. The meetings are also open to the public and will be posted on the Office of Administration’s Open Meeting webpage. During the meetings, the committee receives updates on the initiative, discusses questions or concerns about the initiative, and makes recommendations to MHD regarding best practices and policy changes. The goals of the initiative include:
- Enhance cross-system partnerships and trauma informed care1 across child-serving systems to strengthen coordination and improve the well-being of children, youth and families.
- Promote early identification, prevention and treatment to support resiliency and recovery for children, youth and families.
- Leverage specialty vendor’s care management services, in partnership with providers, to support whole person care and provide care coordination.
- Establish a comprehensive PH and BH provider network that specializes in the targeted population.
- Establish an effective partnership amongst all stakeholders to build a quality strategy emphasizing accountability, BH/PH integration and health outcomes and drive the system towards value-based care.
1For more information, please refer to https://dmh.mo.gov/trauma and https://dmh.mo.gov/media/pdf/missouri-model-developmental-framework-trauma-informed-approaches