What is a non-owner insurance policy?

Coverage through a non-owner auto insurance policy is not tied to a specific vehicle. Instead, it is tied to the person named in the policy. This would allow you to have insurance coverage for bodily injury and property damage if you were found liable for an accident while driving a care givers vehicle. Non-owner insurance policies also stay with you, so if you were to leave one household and go to another, you would still be covered.

Should I get a non-owner insurance policy?

Non-owner coverage is available to youth between the ages of 16 and 21 in Children’s Division custody who are not living with their parents or guardians. You and your Family Support Team should discuss whether this type of insurance is the right choice for you.

If you were interested in this type of policy, you would be able to purchase an auto policy in your name. This policy will be titled, “Named Non-Owner Coverage Youth in State Custody.”

What does this policy cover?

The policy provides the state-required limits of liability and uninsured motorist coverage when you are driving any vehicle you do not personally own. The coverage period for this type of policy is 12 months. This policy limits $25,000/$50,000 for bodily injury and $10,000 for property damage.

With this policy, the named non-owner policy will pay secondary to any other vehicle owner’s policy except when you have permission to drive a vehicle owned by their immediate care provider. If a you are driving your care provider’s vehicle, the claim is paid by both policies based on a pro/rata share of the combined total limits of liability. If an uninsured driver hits you, the uninsured motorist coverage will pay for the damage.

You will want to read your individual policy carefully ask your insurance agent any questions you may have after reviewing it to make sure you fully understand what is and is not covered.

What is the cost?

If you are accepted for this coverage, you will be responsible for paying a premium for this plan. Your premium will be 45 percent lower than what would normally be charged. Your auto insurance agent will contact you with your policy and your premium and should be able to go over cost details with you, including helping you with payment installments if you need them.

How do I apply?

This special coverage is available through the Missouri Automobile Insurance Plan (AIPSO). Any insurance agent who is licensed to write auto insurance in Missouri can help you. If you need help finding an agent, contact the AIPSO Plan at 888-424-0026 for a list of agents in your area.

You will need a drivers license and a verification letter from the Children’s Division at the time of application and for each renewal. Your Children’s Service Worker can help you with this letter.

 Report a Concern