The Prevention of Blindness Program (POB) is a statewide program that provides free education about blindness and other eye conditions, and eye care services.
Our goal is to prevent blindness through early diagnosis and treatment.
Who is Eligible?
Eligibility is based on visual, residential and financial guidelines. To determine visual eligibility we look at:
- Visual acuity
- Malformation or Malfunction of the eye;
- Progressive eye disease
- Trauma to the eye
- Lives in Missouri and intends to remain; and
- Is a United States citizen or eligible qualified non-citizen
Financial Eligibility includes:
- Household income
- No insurance that covers eye care
What services are available?
POB provides eye screenings, treatment services, and education necessary to prevent blindness. Services may include:
- Treatment services, like financial help for costs of eye examinations, related testing, and eye surgeries
- Help with purchasing glasses, artificial eyes, and medication for the treatment of glaucoma
- Public education and informational materials about blindness and other eye conditions
- Free Glaucoma screenings to groups