Rehabilitation Services for the Blind (RSB) provides services to people with varying degrees of visual impairment, ranging from those who cannot read regular print to those who are totally blind.
Through the Independent Living Rehabilitation Program, rehabilitation teachers provide instruction on techniques that enable blind and visually impaired to continue doing most of the things around their homes and community that they have done in the past.
Independent Living Services are provided in your home and help with skills that contribute to building self-confidence and self-worth. Services may include:
- Personal/home management (laundry, identifying money, identifying medications, coordinating clothing)
- Communication (dialing a phone, telling time, writing checks)
- Counseling and guidance (understanding feelings and fears about visual impairment and learning ways to cope)
- Meal preparation (marking appliances and safe meal preparation)
- Independent travel (instruction in the use of a white cane to locate landmarks, detect curbs and steps, and cross streets)