Older Blind Services
The Older Blind Services program works with Missourians who are blind or visually impaired and are 55 years of age or older.
Services are provided to help seniors who have lost or are losing their sight remain in their homes and keep their independence.
Who is Eligible?
You may be eligible for services if you:
- Are unable to read newspaper print, with best correction, due to vision loss
- Are 55 years old or older
- Live in Missouri (and intend to remain in Missouri)
- Are a United States citizen or an eligible qualified non-citizen
What services are available?
Older Blind Services rehabilitation teachers help you where you need it most; in your home. They teach you skills for alternative methods for:
- Daily living (laundry, identifying money, identifying medications, coordinating clothing)
- Communication (dialing a phone, telling time, writing checks)
- Counseling and guidance (understanding feelings and fears about visual impairment and learning ways to cope)
- Home making (marking appliances and safe meal preparation)
Low Vision Resource Centers
Low Vision Resource Centers can temporarily loan you supplies for you to use in your own home. Supplies may include, but are not limited to, magnifiers, Closed-Circuit TV’s and high-intensity lamps. To find a Low Vision Center near you, call RSB toll free at 1-800-592-6004.