What is Health Information Exchange?
Health Information Exchange allows healthcare professionals and patients to appropriately access and securely share medical information electronically. Benefits of Health Information Exchange include the ability to:
- Support transitions of care and referrals through sharing patient data electronically.
- Implement clinical information reconciliation for medication, medication allergies, and current problems lists.
- Inform care coordination in order to improve patient outcomes.
- Generate care management alerts to prevent hospital readmissions.
- Facilitate public health reporting.
What is MO HealthNet's role in Health Information Exchange?
As the state Medicaid agency, MO HealthNet has a leadership role in Health Information Exchange, along with other members of the Missouri Medicaid Enterprise (which includes MO HealthNet, Department of Health and Senior Services, and Department of Mental Health). The Missouri Medicaid Enterprise undertakes health information technology projects in order to improve individual health outcomes and enhance the public health using a combination of state and federal funds.
Who participates in Health Information Exchange in Missouri?
Missouri has a complex Health Information Exchange ecosystem. The State of Missouri has contracted with four Health Information Networks (HIN).
Lewis and Clark Information Exchange - LACIE-HIE – Your medical records at the right place at the right time
Velatura - Velatura Public Benefit Corporation
Show-Me Health Information Network of Missouri - SHINE of Missouri - Home
Tiger Institute for Health Innovation - Tiger Institute for Health Innovation (tiger-institute.org)
Each HIN has worked to establish interfaces with networks of providers in Missouri and beyond. To date, Missouri’s four HINs include more than 4,000 individual provider locations in Missouri, Illinois, Kansas, and Arkansas. Millions of individuals’ data have been made available for health information exchange over the last several years.
|Number of HIN Participating Locations by State and HIN, 2022
|Tiger Institute/Lewis and
Clark Information Exchange
Within Missouri, the map below shows that all but six (6) Missouri counties have at least one organization or provider participating in Health Information Exchange.
HIN Participant Locator Tool
An interactive map is available at Health Information Network Participants Locator (arcgis.com).
Please see HIN Participants Locator Instructions for assistance.
- Health Information Exchange Onboarding Program | Missouri Department of Social Services, MO HealthNet Division
- MO HealthNet Interoperability and Patient Access Rule Information Interoperability and Patient Access Rule (mo.gov)
- Health IT.gov Health Information Exchange Info Health Information Exchange | HealthIT.gov