The goal of the child welfare system is to protect children and provide services to help them stay at home. When the Juvenile Court decides that a child is no longer getting the care they need from their parents or guardians at home, they may place the child in Out of Home Care. Depending on the needs of the child, placement may be provided by a relative or kin that has been approved for placement, a licensed foster parent, or a licensed residential facility.

The Children's Division and the court system try to work with the family and provide services to help families resolve their problems so that the child can safely return home. The Juvenile Court ultimately decides if and when conditions have improved to the point that a child can safely return home.

By working together, most of the children who enter Out of Home Care are able to eventually reunify with their parents, a parent, a grandparent or another relative.

How can I get help?

There are many services available through the Children's Division that might help your family.

If you have questions about the services available to help you and your family, please contact your local Children's Division office.

If your family needs help with food stamps, health care, child care, child support, or with any other assistance programs, the Family Support Division can help.

Additional Resources