Alternatives to Abortion Program
The Alternatives to Abortion Program helps women carry their unborn child to term instead of having an abortion, and assists them with caring for their child or placing their child for adoption if they choose. Services are available during pregnancy and for one year following birth.
The Alternatives to Abortion Program helps pregnant women decrease their use of tobacco, alcohol, and illegal drugs and have better nutrition. The program helps parents provide more responsible and competent care for their children to improve child health and development and helps parents continue their education, find a job and become independent for a better future.
- Adoption assistance
- Case management
- Child care
- Domestic abuse protection
- Drug and alcohol testing and treatment
- Educational services
- Establishing and promoting responsible paternity
- Food, clothing and supplies related to pregnancy, newborn care and parenting
- Job training and placement
- Medical and mental health care
- Newborn and infant care
- Parenting skills education
- Prenatal care
- Ultrasound services
Who is eligible?
The Alternatives to Abortion Program is available to women who are Missouri residents* and who:
- Are at or below 185 percent of federal poverty level based on the client or family income as determined by the exemption status on the previous or current year Federal income tax filing annually; and
- Are choosing to carry their child to term instead of having an abortion
*A Missouri resident is defined as a person who has fixed their home/dwelling in Missouri, not for any special or temporary purpose, but with a present intention of remaining in Missouri permanently or for an indefinite period of time.
What is the cost?
Services are provided at no cost to eligible participants.
Where can I get help?
You can contact any agency listed for the county you select for help. If an agency is located in another part of the state, they will be able to put you in contact with a resource in your area.
Brochures and Forms
- Alternatives to Abortion Program Pamphlet
- Alternatives to Abortion Program Pamphlet (French Version)
- Alternatives to Abortion Program Pamphlet (Spanish Version)
- Missouri's Informed Consent Booklet
- Informed Consent Checklist
If you would like a copy of the Alternatives to Abortion Program Pamphlet, Missouri’s Informed Consent Booklet, and the Informed Consent Certification—Abortion form, contact the Alternatives to Abortion Program.